Friday 30 May 2014

Found Friday 2

So what pops in your mind when I say the word moth? Probably, and perfectly reasonably, it's something like this:




But because this is Found Friday, it's something else. Today I'm going to talk about something my sister recommended to me- The Moth. The Moth is a story telling event across the USA, and as I live in the UK it's pretty inconvenient and expensive for me to attend every time they run an event. So I choose to listen to their podcast (which you can download on iTunes and their website is www.themoth.org )



The Moth is an event where there is a theme for the night, people who want to tell a story out their names in a hat, and are pulled out at random. Then, story tellers can take to the stage and the mic is theirs. 

Make no mistake, this isn't some place where people get together to repeat tales of old, or sit around with fairy stories. These have their place, but The Moth is for people to tell their real life stories. Things that really happened. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are sad. Sometimes they are quite epic and extraordinary and moving.

These stories have the impact they have because they are not just stories- they are real. And they make the best stories because they are told by the people who lived them. One episode usually features several stories (although some short episodes feature just one story) and they are extremely diverse in nature- from being caught in a new life having escaped prison, to the frustration of being a teenager and struggling to find your role in a new family and step coming together. People from all walks of life tell their stories at The Moth

Further to my post about storytelling I would say that listening to The Moth is similar to that quality- you feel like you're in the crowd that was there when the story was told. Personally, I like to go for walks on my own to listen to The Moth and wander around with my earphones in. It means I listen better! 

Anyway- to summarise I'd recommend listening to The Moth and if you like it, subscribe! 

Today, this is me:


See you tomorrow,
- Rosa
X

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to this podcast, will now go and download

    ReplyDelete