Wednesday 10 September 2014

PLUMBING LIED TO ME.

Hello Splodgies!

Today I realised something. The tap in my bathroom is lying to me. We have one of those mixer taps where you twist it one way for hot and the other way for cold and lift it up to make it go. On the right side of the tap is a red dot, and on the left side, a blue dot. Indicating hot on the right, and cold on the left. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE. Here's a picture of that bastard, lying tap:


See how it's turned to cold? You'd expect cold water to come out of the tap, right? WRONG. 


I worked this out when I went to get a glass of water from the bathroom (because I'm too lazy to go all the way downstairs when a tap with the same water in it's pipes is in a room across the landing) Somebody had been in the bathroom just moments before me and had, of course, washed their hands. The tap was already turned to what appeared to be cold, so I just lifted it. The water came out and was warm- this didn't surprise me as it had been very recently used and there was probably some warm water still in the tap, before the pipe. However, the water did not cool... to my astonishment, IT ACTUALLY GOT HOTTER. 


This really confused me because previously, having had the tap turned to cold, I was able to get cold water immediately, fill my glass and leave happy. But when that happened there wouldn't have been enough time for the water to warm up before my glass was full. Thus leading to the illusion that this tap, when turned to cold, would produce cold water. So now, to be sure of having a glass of cold water I have to paradoxically turn the tap to hot. Flippin' heck!! Obviously I know that the two dots are the wrong way around and whoever fitted the tap is to blame, but I still feel very much conned!

This got me thinking of all kinds of times that I have been lied to by an appliance or machine of some kind. Mostly computer related problems like "File cannot be found" or "Ink levels are critically low in printer" Only for me to open up to check the cartridges and find that they were over half full. Which in turn got me thinking of this bit of Outnumbered:






Today, this is me with a washing up bowl on my head, because I'm the only person in my house who thinks in an absence of a plug, its a nescessary thing to have to wash the dishes:


See you tomorrow!
-Rosa
x

No comments:

Post a Comment