Thursday 25 September 2014

What to do when you feel like your brain isn't functioning at work

Hello Splodgies!

So last night I slept badly. This was either due to whoever decided it would be a great idea to go speeding past my house so loudly that it woke me up, or the fact that one of my etchings fell off the wall and landed right in front of my face. Either way, I did not sleep well. 

This meant that I did not have time for a shower this morning. Or to make myself a packed lunch. All I had time for was a quick wash and a bowl of porridge before leaving the house. 

As I was hurrying, I got into town a little earlier than usual- so I went to Costa to get myself some coffee so that I could perk up a little before starting work. Thinking that I'd get myself a lovely caffe mocha (which I have taken to in favour of the latte recently) I confindently walk up to the counter, but they tell me THAT THEIR COFFEE MACHINE HAS BEEN STOLEN AND THEY ARE ONLY SERVING TEA AND IF I WANT COFFEE I WILL HAVE TO GO TO GREGGS. I am very very not in the mood for the banter the Barista is directing at me, so I simply said "No coffee? Bye then." and leave. 



Greggs coffee would not have been as good as Costa coffee. And it would've meant doubling back. And I was already on the verge of being late. So I get into work and tell Becca of my woeful coffee tale. 

I manage to get most of my work done today, but I am sleepy and lacking in caffeine so decided to do a few things to try and help me get the creative juices flowing:

  1. Go up and down all the stairs in the building to get my blood flowing around my brain. Its necessary, and it did actually help in the short term.
  2. drinking lots of water to keep myself hydrated.
  3. Going for air- people often forget that in a busy office (which in my case, means 6 or more people in the same room) the air just gets cycled round! And when everyone starts yawning frequently, you know the oxygen is low in the room. So open a window, or go for a trundle around and get some other oxygen! 
  4. allowing your brain to tangent, so long as it is justifiable, and can relate to your work.
...And that is all I have to say on the matter. I shall go to sleep soon, so that tomorrow I can avoid a reprise of today. 


Today, this is me in my incredibly attractive storm jacket:


See you tomorrow!
-Rosa
x

1 comment: