Sunday 28 December 2014

Goodbye, 2014!

Hello Splodgies!

As you might have guessed from today's title, this will be my last blogpost of the year! Because tomorrow I'm going away for New Years with some family and friends. Normal blog posting will resume on the 2nd of January. So from me to you, I hope you have a wonderful New Years Eve and have a happy, healthy, productive 2015 :) 



In other news, today Troy and I found what appeared to be a butterfly that had been hibernating in my room. There we were watching cartoons and minding our own business when there was a fluttery noise at the window, and we realised it was a butterfly... like, an actual butterfly. In the middle of winter. I had no idea where it had come from. Or how long it had been in my room. But today it decided to wake up a bit early. Troy says it is a monarch butterfly. 

We were in a bit of a dilemma because it we put it outside it would most certainly die from the cold very quickly. But it wouldn't survive indoors either. In the end we decided to keep it in the warm:


For all those interested, it's living in a small cheese box with a jam jar lid with sugary water in it, and a grape cut in half. That's all we could think of to do for it. Except it's in the dark with the box under a t-shirt that I rarely wear (despite the fact that it features a giraffe- its more the fact that the giraffe has huge eyes and looks incredibly shifty) and on my desk so it is flat and safe. The hope is that it will survive the winter and when the weather starts to get warmer, somebody will be able to let it outside. I'll have to make sure that someone regularly replaces the sugary water. And the grape. Although not always with another grape, I'm sure it'd like some variety in it's diet.

I'm open to suggestions for the butterfly's name, but I would recommend gender-neutral names. As I am not a lepidopterist (for all those interested, I already knew the term, and did not look it up so am holding my head high despite the heavy mass of knowledge in my skull) sexing the butterfly has been rather difficult. So I'm thinking nothing that is very definitely either male or female. Like, not Felicity or Boris. 

After the butterfly debacle Jack arrived and we all went out for some blues and some booze. Which is a pleasing rhyme. 

On my way home the moon was out and looking very dramatic. I tried to take a picture of it in all it's drama, but this was the best I could manage at the time: 


It was very starry out I promise! Also in this picture is the back of my primary school, for anyone interested in my early years of education. 

Tonight, this is me: 


See you tomorrow Next year! 
-Rosa
x


No comments:

Post a Comment