Sunday 29 June 2014

Calling myself a feminist?

So recently in my circle of friends, there has been a bit of discussion around feminists and feminism. Its important here to separate the two for reasons I will explain later. Take a look at these two quotes:



Pretty different views, right? Personally, I am inclined to agree with Kate Nash more than Pat Robertson. But there seems to be some wires crossed somewhere. 

I for one, am happy, no- PROUD to call myself a feminist. Even though the stereotypes can give us a bad name, as bra burning, man-hating, angry lesbian women. But I think thats a bit... narrow minded really. People who think that all feminists are all of these words clearly don't know much about feminism in my mind. 

I feel like a lot of feminism skeptics think that feminism is the promotion of women above men- but it is not. Have a look- 


Yeah yeah, I know. A picture saying it doesn't make it true. But it raises a good point. If society had worked the other way around and we were living in a matriarchal scociety rather than a patriarchy, then I am sure, a sort of masculism movement promoting equality. 




Nearly all the reasons listed here are reasons that I call myself a feminist. Apart from making this blog post, I don't think I've been very in-your-face about my feminist views, other than calling out the frankly disgusting way I've seen women be treated in the street by strangers. Which I'd like to think men would do too. This is usually me saying an "Oi, back off!" type statement rather than a "Don't you think you're denting the progression of feminism" type statement. 

There are a WHOLE LOT of things that I think need to change in this world before feminism is no longer a nescessity. When I can walk home alone at night without feeling like I need to get a taxi or walk with someone, or text a friend to let them know I arrived home safely, I won't need feminism anymore. When arrest, prosecution and conviction rates of genuine cases of rape, sexual abuse and domestic abuse have reached 100%, then I won't need feminism. When, being the only woman in a room full of men, I no longer feel like my opinion means less, then I won't need feminism. When women occupy as many seats in the house of commons and the house of lords as men do, I won't need feminism. There are a whole lot of things that need to change in order to make equality a reality.

When I ask lots of my female friends if they'd call themselves feminists, the vast majority said yes. But when I asked some of my male friends the same question I was pleasantly suprised to find that most of them said they would also, although there were still some problems with feminism in their eyes. To which I have to agree- feminism is not perfect. And those who were hesitant or uncomfortable calling themselves feminists all agreed that they believed in equality, which is good enough for me. There are always going to be ranty, angry women who call themselves feminists, that give the reasonable, level headed feminists a bad name. And no doubt these women have every right to be angry from their own personal experiences of feminism- but the fact is that being full of rage isn't going to get anybody anywhere as far as a social movement is concerned. 

For those who don't want to call themselves feminists, but do believe in equality, I think the best alternative term (if you feel like you need a label- if you don't then run free and be label-less!) would be egalitarian or egalitarianism. Though personally, the only way I see this as an advantage over the term feminist with relation to its core beliefs is that egalitarian doesn't nescessarily impose a gender binary on people- it can include those who are transgendered (though I think in terms of transgendered people, using their preferred pronoun is probably better) or intersex.  Both at their cores are upholding the idea that everyone should be equal. And that's really all I want.  Even though I feel like a lot has to change, the fact that people are talking about it, even if its just a little bit, and even if not everybody agrees- the fact that there are people who are willing to talk about it is progress in itself. 

hmm...I still don't feel like I've finished this. Perhaps I will write more on this another time, but I already feel like this post is longer than normal, so I shall stop for now. 

I really hope I don't regret this post. No hate!! 

What do you think? Would you call yourself a feminist? let me know if you would, and why in the comments :)

Today, this is me: 


See you tomorrow!
-Rosa
x

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely call myself a feminist but sadly I still almost always feel the need to justify the word when I use it. I find that it is necessary to make it clear that I mean a belief in equality rather than any of the warped ideas of feminism that people regularly assume. I think a new word would definitely be useful because it is difficult to overcome the stereotypes and misconceptions that people hold. Nice post, very reasonable, no hate, much love. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're absolutely right- even though I know I shouldn't have to, I always feel the need to justify my feminist self-labelling!

      Delete