Tuesday 7 October 2014

Odd, Regional Words

Aloha, Splodgies! 

...Ok, I came across a word today and I had absolutely NO idea what it meant.

"Satched" 

the context was "I was totally satched when I got home" - I was flummoxed. In my mind, the context would probably mean "I was totally exhausted when I got home", but the phonetics were making me think of satchels. 

...turns out it meant saturated. Weird, right? I love it. I kept saying satched for ages. Then I was thinking of things that rhymed with satched, like thatched and hatched. 

There was another word, meaning splinter but I can't remember what it was...? I'm sure I'll find out in the morning.

Then there are lots of other words that are very regional words that might not be understood elsewhere like scran (scouse for food, eat or eating) or nom. Which has much the same meaning as scran. Or scrumping. Which means stealing apples.

Anyone got any more? Let me know in the comments!! Also I'd be super interested to see if there are any words like this that don't quite translate into English if anyone knows another language!

Today, this is me, totally un-satched after having been tactical about when I left the bus station:



See you tomorrow!
-Rosa
x

3 comments:

  1. As we're both from the same town, it's probably not much use to you for me to tell you Lancashire regional words, so instead here's a few others: "drookit" (Scots); "radgy" (Geordie); "greeting" (Scots - it doesn't mean salutation!); "baffies" (Scots); and my favourite little exclamation "caw canny" (also Scots).

    ReplyDelete